Monday, December 19, 2011

Haiti, Mexico, and Rome

Today’s memories are not my own; they come from my sister and my brother, who worked on humanitarian relief efforts in Haiti and Mexico, respectively.

In Haiti, one of the greatest sign of devastation in the aftermath of the massive earthquake was the huge numbers of stray dogs who are wandering aimlessly, scrounging for whatever food they can find. My sister recalls the accidental spilling of a flour-based concrete, which resulted in a swarm of dogs licking up the flour off the ground in a desperate attempt to survive.

In Mexico, my brother was volunteering to bring homes and shelters in Tijuana up to livable conditions, and the first rule of the group they were with was “Do NOT pet the dogs!” Stray dogs in Mexico wander freely, too, and they traffic in all manner of diseases and infections. My brother and his two sons spoke of the pathetic, sad eyes and desperate faces of these animals that had no one to care for them.

The only comparable experience I recall in my own life took place on my honeymoon, when I was backpacking through Europe and toured some ancient ruins just outside of Rome. I was swarmed by dogs that were desperate for food, affection, or any kind of simple interaction.

I’m not sure what the moral of the story is, although “spay and neuter your pets” is probably a good one. We don’t have this kind of dog population problem in the United States, but experiences like this are grim reminders that abandoned pets live sad, desperate, lonely lives.

So tonight, when you get home, make sure you give your dog an extra hug and let them know how much they’re appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment